Redcar Place Name
Redcar seems to have been situated in pooorly drained land as “car”, the second part of the name derives from the Viking word Kjar meaning marshland.
Neighbouring Marske, also betrays boggy origins as its name is a Scandinavian pronunciation of the English word marsh.
Redcar, called Redker in 1165, Ridkere in 1407 and Readcar in 1653 means either the red coloured marshland from the red stone in the area, or reedy marsh.
The second is quite likely as the word reed often occurs as “red” in English place names.